Sunday, April 8, 2012

Don't Judge the Wolf




Maria de France's Bisclavret gives a different light to the wolf's evil persona. Bisclavret was a hurting man, who feared the truth would separate him and his wife. Though he tried many times to explain his reasoning to his wife and tried to avoid his fear coming true, her persistence fulfilled what he tried so hard to avoid. She rejected him and made his curse permanent.

The wolf has now become pitied. It is no longer a creature who causes harm to innocent humans. It is a creature who was actually harmed by humans therefore leaving a the plan of revenge to fester. All Bisclavret wanted was to be in love with his wife and enjoy that pleasure. But he was deceived, even though she promised him her love forever.

"My Lord, the lady replied It's true, mor than all the world I love you. You should hide nothing from me nor ever doubt I'm loyal in any affair. That would not seem like true friendship. How have I ever sinned? What slip makes me seem unworthy to you?" (3)

I say, don't judge the wolf. The wolf has undergone some extremities himself; being curse not only physically but emotionally and mentally. It gives reason as to why the wolf is so hostile. People can be wolves themselves. Marked by miseries and tragedies they go around terrorizing others, looking for revenge, and peace or hoping to find a miserable companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment